Meet Glen – Fernie Works Alumni Member
Glen is a testament to the positive influence the experience of Fernie Youth can have on a young person’s life.
Glen is a 19 year-old young man who has a youth justice background in both Open and Secure facilities. Upon participating in the Fernie Works Program, Glen had no supportive family network or significant adult guidance. He was residing in a homeless shelter and was struggling with self-esteem issues. Glen had abstract aspirations, but nothing specific. He identified as having neither the support nor the confidence to move forward. Glen understood that he needed to become self-sufficient, but struggled in doing it “alone”. Glen was on Ontario Works for financial support and had limited employment skills.
Glen’s Major Accomplishments
Major Milestones: Maintains Self-Sufficiency
- Maintains his own place of residency
- Acquired his apprenticeship license and working towards becoming a licensed mechanic
- Throughout the past year, Glen works at an auto mechanic shop as an apprentice
- Acquired Fork Lift License
- Acquired employment skills through Fernie Youth Lawn Care & Maintenance Program
- Received the 2015 Paul Cornish Award
- Acquired his Driver’s License
- Completed Certifications: Ontario Health & Safety and Accessibility Ontario Disability Act
- Improved social functioning
- Established and maintains strong healthy adult relationships
- Currently has a high level of confidence
- Developed leadership skills: presented at Fernie Youth Board of Director Meetings and Annual General Meetings
- Accepts and seeks support when required (huge milestone for Glen)
- Graduated from the Fernie Works Program
“Being around good people and good relationships makes all the difference. Having mentors and people who are legit successful in life. It means doing good and having people who can tell me when I’m wrong or shouldn’t be doing something. Having someone to talk to, someone who’s honest, reliable, and trustworthy, and someone who’s there. Fernie made a huge difference in my life, meeting the people here, and the networks.” — Glen
Show Your Support For Fernie Youth Services
If you like what we do, consider encouraging Fernie Youth Services with a like on Facebook.
Success Stories need your participation
It’s been said that it takes a village to raise a child, sponsoring just one youth creates a ripple of generosity that can improve hundreds of lives.